Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why Japanese?

 


...no, seriously.

Ever since I started watching anime 12 years ago (at the tender age of 9), I've been fascinated by Japanese culture. This interest was later multiplied when three years later, driven by the goal to get strong enough to go Super Saiyan, I joined my first martial art's Dojo (as of now, I'm almost there... I can almost feel it!)

I can't wait to converse with my fellow Nihon-jin on terms other than "kick", "fight", "stop", and "bow". My goal is to be able to listen to a whole anime episode without needing the subtitles.

So far, the hardest thing about Japanese is the handwriting... I'm not too good with English script to begin with (my a's, q's, and g's all look alike, my 5's look like s's, etc), but the Japanese are far less forgiving when it comes to bad handwriting.  =\  ...just something to get used to, I guess...

3 comments:

  1. わあああ!

    グンダムウイングはほんとにすごいですね?
    Quartre was my favorite -- I don't know how to say that in 日本語 but I still felt the need to share that.

    ... And now I want to learn how to say kick, fight, stop and bow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. こんにちわ!

    I'm taking Japanese for pretty much the same reasons (duh?). Although, in your case, I don't think it's necessary to know more than "fight," "stop," "kick," and "bow." Other than that, it seems like we have similar goals (in watching anime and achieving Super Saiyan). Btw, do you read any manga?

    ...er, anyways, はじめまして!どうぞよろしく。

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lady Violet: Here are some martial arts terms* for ya:
    bow: れい
    kick: げり
    stop: やっめ
    suit up (literally, "put your head on I believe): めんつけ
    knife-edge: そくと

    *these may all be wrong translations, misspelled, or pronounced incorrectly.. but I'll soon find out hopefully!

    @Miles: I usually only read the manga if I reach the end of a good, short anime that I know has a longer manga (so, Detective Conan, DearS, Zatch Bell...)

    ReplyDelete